Skip to main content

Death Before Birth

My trip to Townsville didn't turn out to be a very happy time. Once again, I lived in a caravan in a caravan park  There was not option to do other wise. I had my first child who was a year old. She had been spoiled by grandparents, one side more than the other. That side tried to run my life and make out that I didn't know what I was doing to raise the baby. For around the age of nine I had been taking care of other people's children.

She had a rash on her bottom. I spoke to the nurse about this and we both came to the same agreement that the baby powder was the cause. The mother-in-law would not accept that because the tin said this powder was for babies. But some people can't use any type of talc powder. This is something which runs in the family.

Just before Christmas of 1970 we had finished eating our meal. The baby was cleaned and placed in her bed out of the way while I worked. I looked around to find out why she was so quiet to find she had turned blue in the face. Not wanting to be put in the bed, she held her breath until she went limp. I tried everything to make her breathe. In the end the only way to make her breathe was turn her upside down and pat her on the back. Finally she took a deep breath. This was her attention seeking  way of having her own way when she didn't want to do something.

Around the same time I became very sick. When I went to the hospital the doctor told me I was pregnant. He did some other tests to find I had an infectious illness so I was placed in an isolation ward. My parent came to take her home with them as the father had to work. This was something I found out after the decision had been made.

For close I four months I spent in the hospital. The worst time I ever spent in a hospital. Food wouldn't stay down. They tried using a drip but that wasn't very successful and had to keep moving it to a different position. The vampire (blood technician) came most days to take blood samples. They were forever sticking needles in me.

The nights were the worst. I don't know what drugs they gave me but I had very vivid nightmares that were so real. There was this dragon type, devil beast chasing me all around the country. This went on all night until I yelled for help and the nurse came to find out what was wrong. Or went on until the dawn when it disappeared. I'd wake more tired then when I went to sleep. My whole body sore from all the imagined exercise I had during the night.

Finally, just before the end of March I began to get over the worst of the illness. I couldn't walk. Had no energy to stand on my legs. The nurses had to hold me up to learn to walk. After awhile I was fine on a flat surface but stepping up, or down, were past my energy levels. I had to sit on steps to move up or down one at a time. Lucky for me we were moving to another place. We traveled to Emerald where we booked into another caravan park.

We were there for only a few weeks when I was placed in the Emerald hospital. From there I was transported by ambulance to the Rockhampton hospital. Where I spent another few weeks and had a lot more tests. All the doctors surprised that I had carried through with my pregnancy without miscarrying. The baby was still healthy.

On a cold winter's night, I was released from the hospital to go home by train. The train arrived in the early hours of the morning and I was frozen. I felt like I'd been in the freezer. My feet burned from the cold. Collecting the car keys from the station I drove myself to the caravan park. I don't know how I drove with frozen feet and my body shaking with cold. The heater in the car didn't do much to warm me on the short drive. On arriving I left myself in switched on the heater and fell into the bed where I was cold for most of the day.

Every thing seemed to be progressing well with the pregnancy. Then I had this feeling of empty arms. I would sit on the bed and look at nothing. There was this feeling that I would never hold my baby in my arms. Then one day I started getting contractions. This was way too early. I had to drive to the station to collect my husband from work. We went home and I collected a few thing to go to the hospital. Within a matter of a couple the waiting was over. With no one but the doctor and nurse there with me the baby was born. But he never had a chance to take a breath. He had been dead for a day or so before the contractions began.

The body was quickly whisked away before the doctor told me my son didn't make it. That is something that has stayed with me over the years. I was sad because I'd heard other families were allowed to see the baby. But was there something wrong that would have been far worse to see and that memory would have haunted me for the rest of my life. I have never forgotten him. The small white coffin which was lowered into the ground with only his father and mother present.

With each step back, you take a few steps forward to meet the next catastrophe that will knock you for a six. You just stand and keep moving forward until you have past through the sand to stand on firm ground. Don;t let the darker side of the bad experiences take over your life.

Look on eBay for the craft work I have there for sale. Crocheted work. Just search for Move862

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring flowers

These are a couple of my flowers in bloom now. I have been trying to weed out the winter weeds to bring my gardens back to shape. My window of opportunity to do this is closing fast. The rain is impeding my progress. And pain. I have an appointment with the surgeon on Wednesday to see about having a hip replacement. These are another two rugs I have been crocheting to go to charities. I am working on a round one and have been building different patterned squares to fit together when I have enough made. I have to go to replenish my stock of wool before I have to go to hospital. I will be unable to drive for a few weeks.                   Nails. Not needles. Craft work. Today. Has changed since I was a child. More ways to do the same work. To work with a few stitches in another manner. Many types of cotton. Or Wool. Sizes in hooks. And needles. Every item you need is available in the shops. My mother used knitting needles. I was never allowed t

Still Waters.

Dash it!! The power, or the computer, cut the power and wiped out what I had written, not of it saved except the title, so I have to go back to the drawing board. So here is a different version of what I had started but in poem form. This is about a lagoon where we used to pump water to fill out tanks when no rain fell. The surface of the water Was as smooth as glass, Not a ripple to be seen. The smoothness broken, By wind or rain. No birds dare to swim Disturb the surface of the water. No animals approached, The deep water of the lagoon. Their life would be at risk, To quench their thirst there Which would be their last. Never to be seen again. Not a sound could be heard, On or around the lagoon. The Bunyip would raise His big hairy arm above the water To drag the unwary invader, Down the bottom to a watery grave. Trucks, boats, and cattle sank, Beneath the surface of the lagoon. No one dared to enter the water, To retrieve their possessions. Everyone was afraid of the big hairy

Evolving Tomato Plant

The years rolled by but the pain never seemed to diminish. Stella couldn't fight off the depression which had settled in her life. Her devoted family had been supportive. Joyful. Until the abysmal day their daughter,Sue Ellen, went missing on the prairie. Sue Ellen had wandered away from her home while her mother had been busy working in the garden. When Sue Ellen was born she'd become the apple of her mother's eye. She had golden curls. Her eyes brighter than the blue of the ocean. She had the look of an angel. Sue Ellen brought much joy to her family. On the fateful day in June with the ghostly mist rolling over the prairie, Stella looked up from her work. She searched for Sue Ellen but she no longer played where she had been, when Stella began her work. Stella dropped her garden fork from her lifeless fingers. “ Sue Ellen. Sue Ellen.” Stella ran between all the flower beds trying to find her daughter. Sue Ellen didn't answer her mother's call. S