Skip to main content

Bluesy The Fly




                                                        Bluesy.
R.I.P.
Here lies Bluesy. The bane of my life.
He annoyed me day, and night. Disappeared for short times. Then out of no where he's appear. Buzzing around the kitchen. Bug me while I tried to read. Write. Crochet. Acted like a dive bomber attacking. Proving he was invincible to death.
“Where's the fly spray. If I can find the damn can.” I search the cupboards. Wave my arms to keep the pest at bay. I slid open the doors. Tried to chase him outside but he didn't budge. I searched some more places for the spray to no avail.
“I'll fix you, you nuisance.” I searched out the fly swat. I sized up the funny looking swat. The object looked more like an ornament. No hope of using it for a killing instrument. I change my mind. I couldn't use it. My imagination brought up the scene of his splattered body on the surface of the cupboard. Yuck. Didn't want to clean up the mess.
“Fine. You can have the kitchen. You won't find any food.” Locking all the doors I ventured up the stairs to lay on the bed to read a book. I opened the book. Put on my glasses. Made myself comfortable, to find peace, while I became one with the characters.
“Buzz. Buzz.” The rotten blowfly had made his way upstairs. It kept buzzing between my glasses, and the book. My interest in the story lost.
“You can have the book.” I placed the book and glasses, on top of the bedside draws. Grabbed the edge of the quilt to cover me from head to toe. Waiting for the buzzing to stop I drifted off to sleep.
On waking. I listened for the consistent buzzing to alert me Bluesy haunted my bedroom. No noise. He'd found some other way to be amused. With a little luck, and inventiveness on his part, he had escaped.
Bluesy was not to be found. Like the fly spray, he was in hiding. Until. That is. I sat at the table to eat my evening meal. He didn't act like a normal blowfly. Not once did he try to land on my food. Unless, I counted the times he flew past my face when raising the food to my mouth. Or when he dive bombed toward my mug of coffee. The mug had to be covered when not in use. Bluesy is persistent, and annoying.
Our disagreements continued, on and off, over the next few months. I'd leave the screens open for him to leave on his own accord. I've chased him toward the door but he kept doubling back. The bee, which made its way into the kitchen was of less trouble to evict out the door.
Bluesy didn't see the errors of his way. But he knew when to disappear. The fly spray wasn't used on him. I was pleased I didn't have to use it. I would have suffered from the spray while he flew away laughing at my folly.
I decided to leave him be. Flapping my hands when he was present. Kept all food out of his reach. I didn't want him leaving germs on what intended to eat. Kept my mouth shut while he was at his annoying best. My glasses are still in tact. Many times they have been sent flying. The chase for Bluesy would have been intensified if the glasses had broken. I had a feeling one day he'd meet his Waterloo. Misjudge his target.
The day has come. I was busy rushing from job to job. I came inside to have a drink. My mug had been left uncovered. Bluesy had been missing in action for a few week. I picked up the mug to have a drink.
There lay Bluesy. Drowned. Floating on the surface of the cold coffee.
I flushed Bluesy down the sink drain. Well. I'm hoping the body did belong to him, not one of his family.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring flowers

These are a couple of my flowers in bloom now. I have been trying to weed out the winter weeds to bring my gardens back to shape. My window of opportunity to do this is closing fast. The rain is impeding my progress. And pain. I have an appointment with the surgeon on Wednesday to see about having a hip replacement. These are another two rugs I have been crocheting to go to charities. I am working on a round one and have been building different patterned squares to fit together when I have enough made. I have to go to replenish my stock of wool before I have to go to hospital. I will be unable to drive for a few weeks.                   Nails. Not needles. Craft work. Today. Has changed since I was a child. More ways to do the same work. To work with a few stitches in another manner. Many types of cotton. Or Wool. Sizes in hooks. And needles. Every item you need is available in the shops. My mother used knitting needles. I was never allowed t

Still Waters.

Dash it!! The power, or the computer, cut the power and wiped out what I had written, not of it saved except the title, so I have to go back to the drawing board. So here is a different version of what I had started but in poem form. This is about a lagoon where we used to pump water to fill out tanks when no rain fell. The surface of the water Was as smooth as glass, Not a ripple to be seen. The smoothness broken, By wind or rain. No birds dare to swim Disturb the surface of the water. No animals approached, The deep water of the lagoon. Their life would be at risk, To quench their thirst there Which would be their last. Never to be seen again. Not a sound could be heard, On or around the lagoon. The Bunyip would raise His big hairy arm above the water To drag the unwary invader, Down the bottom to a watery grave. Trucks, boats, and cattle sank, Beneath the surface of the lagoon. No one dared to enter the water, To retrieve their possessions. Everyone was afraid of the big hairy

Evolving Tomato Plant

The years rolled by but the pain never seemed to diminish. Stella couldn't fight off the depression which had settled in her life. Her devoted family had been supportive. Joyful. Until the abysmal day their daughter,Sue Ellen, went missing on the prairie. Sue Ellen had wandered away from her home while her mother had been busy working in the garden. When Sue Ellen was born she'd become the apple of her mother's eye. She had golden curls. Her eyes brighter than the blue of the ocean. She had the look of an angel. Sue Ellen brought much joy to her family. On the fateful day in June with the ghostly mist rolling over the prairie, Stella looked up from her work. She searched for Sue Ellen but she no longer played where she had been, when Stella began her work. Stella dropped her garden fork from her lifeless fingers. “ Sue Ellen. Sue Ellen.” Stella ran between all the flower beds trying to find her daughter. Sue Ellen didn't answer her mother's call. S