Skip to main content

Lights Out

Lucky for me I was on the second floor.
Or on the steps when the lightning struck the power pole down the street.
Hopefully, I'd find my way to bed without walking into any obstacles.
Unlucky for me the house I lived was haunted. Things went bang in the night. A glowing apparition appeared out of the darkness with a lantern to show me the way to where. Even though I screamed, he beckoned me to follow him.
His back was turned to me.
I didn't see his face.
A scared face fresh from battle with blood dripping from his cheeks to dampen the front of his shirt.
Unlucky for me, he took me to the wrong room. He took me to the room where all the dearly departed were having a wow of a party with music and dancing. A cold feeling ran through my body like a ghost walked right through me.
I was rescued by a real man.
He was leading me to safety.
But I was wrong.
The floor opened before us letting us fall over the edge floating through space to softly land on solid ground. Taking a deep breath while I felt my legs to make sure nothing broke when I landed. I pinched myself to see if I still lived.
When my eyes adjusted to the dimness around me there were snakes slithering across the ground hissing at me.
I hate snakes.
The only good snake was a dead one.
The scream didn't pass the clogged vocal cords.
From out of the darkness a pair of arms wrapped around my waist to lift me from the ground before any of the snakes were able to reach me. When I opened my eyes I found I was on a different floor. I was lead down another corridor and into a bedroom.
I was shown into a nursery where a woman knelt beside a crib crying.
The crib was empty.
The mother cried for her missing baby.
Her husband went to stand by her side to comfort her. She turned to see who had entered the room with her husband. She looked up to see me standing there. A smile crossed her sad features. She stood to walk over to me.
I was safe at last.
These nice ghost would take care of me.
They both took hold of my arms to lead me to another room
We went into the room where a beam of light shone down through the ceiling making a circle on the floor. The couple each placed a hand on my stomach until the light went out and we stood in the darkened room.
We were falling again.
My stomach churned.
My head dizzy from all the ups, and downs, and scares.
I was sick by the time we reached the bottom. I heaved what food I had eaten before the lightning had struck. I was picked up and laid on a bed. Both of them sat by my bed until my world righted before going to sleep.
When I opened my eye I found I was in my own bed.
How did that happen.
I had no recollection of returning or the lights coming on.
Last night had to be a dream. A very bad dream. I went to sit up in the bed to quickly lay back down when a sever pain raked through my body. I moved slowly to the side of the bed to try sitting up once again but I wasn't able to put my feet to the floor. Reaching for the phone beside the bed I called a friend to help me.
I was in luck.
My friend had left for work.
She came to my flat to see what was wrong.
She found me stretched out on the bed in pain. She rang for an ambulance to come to take me to the hospital. The ambulance people did what they were able to before they put me in the ambulance to rush me to the emergency room at the hospital. I thought I heard wrong when the doctor gave his opinion. He had to be a quack.
You're in labour.”
I fainted.
The dream had turned into a nightmare.
Lucky for me I was on the bed when he gave of his news and I fainted. He had to be wrong kept floating through my clouded mind. There was not way I was pregnant. When I finally opened my eyes I was presented with the results.
I had a baby presented to me.
This baby isn't mine.” I shuddered. I'd wake soon to be in my own bed.
I looked up from the baby sleeping in my arm to find the ghost couple standing at the end of my bed with tears of happiness running down their cheeks before they disappeared.
On returning home with my baby I found the crib in my room, the one from my nightmare with two guardian angels there to watch over us.

A short story I re-worked from hard copy I found in my file. Surprising how you work an old story when seeing it with a different, clearer mind, not stressed from over work, and lack of sleep. This was written in the years I took care of an ailing mother.


Popular posts from this blog


I have finished the blue Poncho for the lady who ordered one to be made is different shades of blue. I don't want to do another for awhile. This pattern I had to concentrate to keep the right amount of stitches on each peak. I was still counting them in my sleep. Now. I can go back to making boring squares with the left over bits of wool. I am doing some today to have a spell from work. Once the plumber has been to do his job, I will have to get back to finish my cleaning. And weeding of the garden.

The Magpies have brought their young home to be fed. They are so entertaining. Can be noisy at times when begging to be fed. The young squabble like any family for attention. Fight to get their own way. Yesterday. One of the young wanted to be fed first. The father went to put food in its mouth. The other one ran at it to push it over the side of the steps. Both fell to the grass fighting. The father left holding the meat. He look at me like he was disgusted with their behavior. I sto…


This was taken when we went on a bus trip.

The animals moved around the shopping center. There were a few different shaped ones. Kept the children busy while the parents shopped.

A few days after I had hip surgery, I had this surreal vision. May have been from the effects of the anesthetic. Or the tablets I were given.

I had been a sleep. I seemed to be in a different place to the ward I was in. The room had shrunk to a two bed size. There was a person in the bed next to mine. I could hear breathing but no movement on the bed.

A doorway led to a single bed room. There lay a female of aboriginal descent. The room was mostly in darkness but for a small amount of light from the street outside the hospital.

I could hear cars. Slamming of doors. Then came knocking on the outer door to the hospital. The opening and closing of the door. Footsteps thundering up the stairs. A shadowy figure passed through the doorway to my room then disappeared into the other room. The person stretche…

Days grow longer

My Desert Roses have begun to flower. Maybe because I have moved them to a different location.

I am on the last of my jobs to be done. I have cleaned all through the bottom section of the house. Made a room ready for when I get the call to go to hospital to have the first of my operations. I am to have the right hips replacement fixed first. The surgeon has to scrape out all the Arthritis from the joint before he puts in the new joint. Then I have to have the left hip and knee fixed. Hopefully I'll be able to live without pain.

I have washed all the windows and replaced some of the curtains, which fell to pieces in the wash. I didn't like how some of them were made. They collected too much dust. My bed is made and the room set ready for after the operations. I didn't want to try to walk up fifteen steps.

Now, I am at the gardening stage. I am trying to get ride of all the weeds to place my pot plants on the beds. I haven't been able to give them much water of late bec…