Skip to main content

The Long Journey

The story begins way back in the early 1950's when I was born. There were many ups and downs with a lot of curve balls thrown into the mix. 

My father worked hard all his life until a few days before his death. He worked cutting cane with the cane knife, not a harvester like used to cut the cane now. The cane burnt each evening to be harvested by hand the next morning, where it was cut in back breaking work to be laid on the ground in rows. Later the top were cut from the sticks before being loaded on a tram wagon to be taken away to the mill to be made into sugar. All the workers covered in the black burnt thrash left on the cane.

He also worked for the railway fixing bridges, a navvy who cared for the first class maintenance of the rail line to keep the trains moving. In his spare time he worked cutting timber which he transported to the sawmills. Cut sleeper blocks which were sent away to be cut into sleepers for the holding together of the railway tracks. Then he build his own bench to cut out the sleepers. At other times he cut fence posts and timber to build some houses. In all these years in the timber work my mother, and sometimes me, worked beside him from before sun up to well past sundown.

During these years we traveled around from place to place. We lived in many conditions. At one tine when cutting cane we lived in a house. But after that house living was a hit or miss. When I was about three years old we lived in a tent. This was first class to some other people had to use.  Our tent was closed in around the sides, had pallets for a floor so we didn't have dirt for a floor. At one end we had a corrugated iron stove recess which held a wood stove. We had a shower house that had no roof. We showered under the stars in hot, or winter weather. Sometimes a tub was used in the kitchen where we bathed in front of the stove. Everyone had to bath in  the same tub of water. Corrugated iron was used to build an outside toilet. You had to make sure neither the shower, or the toilet, were not occupied by toads, frogs, spiders or snakes.

At another time we camped in a shed which had a roof, two sides closed in and the rest were open to all the elements and the animals. My parents slept on a makeshift bed in the shed and I slept in the car. That was, until one night a carpet snake change that arrangement. The snake took a short cut over the bed my parents used, with them in it, to reach the stacks of hay bales to search for food. After that we graduated to living in a caravan for a good number of years. Then at the age of 13 my parents finally moved into a house with walls.

My father like to fish and crab. This we did when he wanted a feed of seafood. This is a past time we all enjoyed most of the time. The only problem I have on these fishing adventurers I always ended up in the water even when I wasn't suppose to. So, because of that experience, I'm not a lover of water over knee high. But I love most of the seafood. Coming home to cook the crabs in a copper over a wood fire, then shovel them out on to corrugated iron to drain and cool before tucking in to wonderful fresh crabs, or prawns. Today, I have to settle for the not so fresh seafood from the shops.


Today, when I do have time to travel I love to stay where I know I don't have to fight my way through frogs, toads, snakes or spiders.
Happy Traveling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Waters.

Dash it!! The power, or the computer, cut the power and wiped out what I had written, not of it saved except the title, so I have to go back to the drawing board. So here is a different version of what I had started but in poem form. This is about a lagoon where we used to pump water to fill out tanks when no rain fell. The surface of the water Was as smooth as glass, Not a ripple to be seen. The smoothness broken, By wind or rain. No birds dare to swim Disturb the surface of the water. No animals approached, The deep water of the lagoon. Their life would be at risk, To quench their thirst there Which would be their last. Never to be seen again. Not a sound could be heard, On or around the lagoon. The Bunyip would raise His big hairy arm above the water To drag the unwary invader, Down the bottom to a watery grave. Trucks, boats, and cattle sank, Beneath the surface of the lagoon. No one dared to enter the water, To retrieve their possessions. Everyone was afraid of the big hairy

Spring flowers

These are a couple of my flowers in bloom now. I have been trying to weed out the winter weeds to bring my gardens back to shape. My window of opportunity to do this is closing fast. The rain is impeding my progress. And pain. I have an appointment with the surgeon on Wednesday to see about having a hip replacement. These are another two rugs I have been crocheting to go to charities. I am working on a round one and have been building different patterned squares to fit together when I have enough made. I have to go to replenish my stock of wool before I have to go to hospital. I will be unable to drive for a few weeks.                   Nails. Not needles. Craft work. Today. Has changed since I was a child. More ways to do the same work. To work with a few stitches in another manner. Many types of cotton. Or Wool. Sizes in hooks. And needles. Every item you need is available in the shops. My mother used knitting needles. I was never allowed t

Evolving Tomato Plant

The years rolled by but the pain never seemed to diminish. Stella couldn't fight off the depression which had settled in her life. Her devoted family had been supportive. Joyful. Until the abysmal day their daughter,Sue Ellen, went missing on the prairie. Sue Ellen had wandered away from her home while her mother had been busy working in the garden. When Sue Ellen was born she'd become the apple of her mother's eye. She had golden curls. Her eyes brighter than the blue of the ocean. She had the look of an angel. Sue Ellen brought much joy to her family. On the fateful day in June with the ghostly mist rolling over the prairie, Stella looked up from her work. She searched for Sue Ellen but she no longer played where she had been, when Stella began her work. Stella dropped her garden fork from her lifeless fingers. “ Sue Ellen. Sue Ellen.” Stella ran between all the flower beds trying to find her daughter. Sue Ellen didn't answer her mother's call. S