Skip to main content

Still Waters.

Still waters. What hides beneath the still water? A body of water where no birds swim on the surface of the lagoon. Little perch do swim in the water and leeches do survive in the clay section when the water recedes at certain times of the year. The water is good for drinking, or it used to be, when I lived in the area, we went there to pump water to keep out water tanks full when the railway were late with delivery, or no rain fell to keep them full. One thing we could depend on is that there was a supply of fresh water there for the taking owing to not many animals ventured near the edge for a drink, for they were never seen ever again.

The Aboriginal gentleman who worked with my father kept telling us the story of the Bun yip who lived beneath the surface of the water to grab everything, human or animal, who entered the water.The whole area around had a sacred silence warning people to treat with care. I always felt as though I had to whisper so the Bun yip didn't hear me. Even riding past the lagoon on the road I prayed no part of my bike made a noise to upset the monster.

Then one day when I was a little bored while waiting for the drums to be filled I took a length of hose from the back of the truck to blow bubbles in the water. I lay close to the edge near a tree, the clay around the base of the tree gave way and in I fell surfacing with weed and green slime clinging to my hair. I grabbed hold of some of the tree roots to pull myself around to where I could climb out. Not being able to swim made the experience more scaring plus the thought of the monster might come to drag me out into the deep water never to be seen again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crumbin Sanctuary Pt 2

Missed a day. was busy typing up the script I had been working on. This morning, I have been out doing some weeding. And remodeling parts of the garden with plants that don't need much water. The sun became hot so I came inside before I became burnt. And so I wouldn't doing more damage to the areas of the body which has been aching. So I'm setting some more photos to upload while I type up more work. These are more I took at the sanctuary. The first three are paintings on the tunnel the little train passes through. And where the people walk to reach a different section of the park. This selection I took while I took the train ride around the park. The legs were aching so I opted for the ride. I had enough trouble lifting my right leg up a short distance to sit in the open carriage. You can stop at different sections to visit different attractions. This is ...

Vision

This was taken when we went on a bus trip. The animals moved around the shopping center. There were a few different shaped ones. Kept the children busy while the parents shopped. Vision. A few days after I had hip surgery, I had this surreal vision. May have been from the effects of the anesthetic. Or the tablets I were given. I had been a sleep. I seemed to be in a different place to the ward I was in. The room had shrunk to a two bed size. There was a person in the bed next to mine. I could hear breathing but no movement on the bed. A doorway led to a single bed room. There lay a female of aboriginal descent. The room was mostly in darkness but for a small amount of light from the street outside the hospital. I could hear cars. Slamming of doors. Then came knocking on the outer door to the hospital. The opening and closing of the door. Footsteps thundering up the stairs. A shadowy figure passed through the doorway to my room then disappeared into the other room. The p...

Time to slow down

At the end of last year, I had to change doctor. Mine was leaving town. I had only been checking in every six months for repeat scripts. I didn't complain about what I was feeling because I felt he had lost interest. "You must remember you are getting older," was one of his comments. I did find a new doctor at a different clinic. Boy. What an eye opener. I didn't have to tell him what pains I had. He watched me walk into the room and the questions began. I was examined. What I'd been told was wrong with my muscles was wrong. I nearly jumped from the bed when he moved my leg the wrong way. He listened to my chest. Took my blood pressure. Then began typing on the computer. Pages came spewing out of the printer. I had to go for blood tests. X-rays. Scans. With each result I had to go for more. The only test I didn't like was the stress test. I didn't mind the tunnel scan. Except for being injected with the dye. The next day I had to return for the seco...